Turns out, eating pork on New Year’s Day is seen as auspicious, something about pigs being rotund (plenty) and rooting forward when foraging (progress). We just figured it was because happiness = bacon. Executive Chef Jason Long of Sullivan’s Steakhouse in Austin, Texas shares a recipe promising sated smiles if not positive rewards in 2014: Braised Pork Belly Sliders. How deliciously fortunate for all of us!
recipe after the jump
•• Sullivan’s Braised Pork Belly Sliders ••
Slider Rolls 2 ea
Pulled Pork Belly, (Recipe below) 4 oz
Roasted Corn Jicama Slaw, (Recipe below) 3 oz
Pork Sauce 2 tbsp
Pulled Pork Belly
Pork Belly 1 ea
Celery with Leaves, 1 Inch Dice 6 stalks
Carrots, Large Peeled, Rough Chop 3 each
Oil, Blend 90/10 6 tbsp
Garlic Cloves, Whole peeled 15 each
Seasoning, Thyme Dried 3 tbsp
Onion, Yellow ½ Dice 2 ea
Stock, Chicken 2 qts
Marinade –liquid from Pork Belly
- In Braising pan, combine 3tbsp oil with onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic and Thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes, remove from pan and hold.
- Add 3 tbsp of Oil to hot Braising Pan.
- Remove Pork Belly from Marinade, (hold marinade) and place skin side down in pan to sear for 5 minutes, rotate Pork Belly to sear each side for 5 minutes.
- Return vegetables to pan.
- Add Marinade and Chicken Stock.
- Cover with Foil and bake at 400 Degrees for 3 hours
- Remove from Braising liquid and let cool.
- Continue to reduce braising liquid to 1qt, cool, cover and store.
- After Pork belly has cooled, use two forks to pull apart
Roasted Corn Jicama Slaw
Jicama, Peeled & Julienne 5 lbs
Cilantro, Chopped ½ cup
Lime, Fresh 4 ea
Pepper, White 1 tsp
Mayonnaise, Kraft 2 cups
Salt, Kosher 2 tbsp
Garlic Powder 1 tsp
Sugar, Granulated ¼ cup
Cabbage, Green, 1/8th Inch, Shredded 6 cups
Corn, Kernels, Roasted 8 cups
- Take corn and spread out evenly on a full size sheet pan and roast in 350 degree convection oven till light golden brown in color.
- Once corn is ready remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Place lime juice, sugar, pepper, salt, and garlic in a medium stainless steel bowl.
- Add sugar and whisk to dissolve then add the mayonnaise.
- Add the jicama, corn, shredded cabbage, cilantro and mix well to combine.
Thanks, Lindsey & Chef Long!