Every once in a while we get asked to come up with and submit a recipe to other blogs and even magazines. And unfortunately, sometimes we never hear back from the editor who made the request. In this case, her story apparently got “killed.” But the glossy’s loss is your gain, dear reader. First up, a kale salad (yes, we heard Dana Cowin on Top Chef deem the greens a “food trend that needs to die” but we disagree).
recipe after the jump
|Crispy Chickpea & Kale Salad|| |
- chickpeas (cook one hour before assembly to allow to cool) : 2 15 oz. cans of chickpeas (rinse, drain and dry thoroughly)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 TB olive oil
- salad: 1 bunch kale (washed, stemmed and chopped)
- 2 TB olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- juice of ½ lemon
- juice of ½ orange
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅓ cup pepitas, raw
- 4 TB cojita cheese (crumbled)
- 1 TB mint (chopped fine)
- chickpeas: Toss all ingredients together, coating chickpeas, then dust with cornstarch.
- Fry 3 minutes per side 350°-400° or spread mixture on baking sheet and
- roast at 400° for 30-40 minutes until crispy.
- Dry thoroughly on paper towels.
- salad: Toast cumin until fragrant.
- Add pepitas and stir until browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, massage olive oil and salt into kale until it wilts.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss in the chickpeas.
And you know we also had to send in a cocktail. This drink is as fun to make as it is to consume, giving your arms a bit
of a work out as you shake the ingredients into submission. The fruit harmonizes with the vanilla and honey notes in the whiskey while the citrus keeps things from getting too sweet.
1/2 ripe plum, quartered
3-4 fresh mint leaves
1.5 oz whiskey (rye if you prefer slightly spicy)
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tsp simple syrup or agave
Ice down a highball and set aside.
Place the plum, mint and syrup into a cocktail shaker.
Muddle some more.
Throw in some ice cubes.
Add the liquids.
Shake shake shake for a good 10-15 seconds.
Empty the highball, drop in some new cubes and loosely strain the contents
of the shaker into the glass.
Top with seltzer.
Garnish with a plum slice. Or not.