This post has been on the drawing board for an embarrassingly long time. It was a busy year, full of many fetes! But we figured with Mother’s Day being around the corner, we’d wrap it up and share details from the day and honor this adorable little (almost one!) gal’s Mom for a second time.
We know we’re not alone when we say that cheese is one of the few foods that we simply cannot live without. Cheese and their loyal comrades, the crackers, are understandably the go-to party starter for most busy hosts because few things are as easy to pull together in a pinch, with such universally fulfilling results. But the question is, could it be more interesting with little added preparation? We thought it would be an amusing exercise to experiment with different combinations and pairings – and then host a contest – a cheese pageant, if you will, to suss out the winners. As pageants go, ours too, would be based purely on subjective judgement. In this case, that of our guests, based on beauty, delectability, and compatibility.
- To gentlemen, on looks alone, bacon is a thing of beauty, not so much to the ladies
- Ladies’ palates delight in the caramel plum pie, while the gentlemen found it too sweet.
- All are agreed on two things:
- general apathy on all points for the sweet & salty
- love in all three categories for the honey berry goat (remarkable because the rice cracker it was on was spurned across the board, & melba toast recommended)
- As with most things in life, one with beauty and personality wins outright, but a good personality and compatibility without beauty is a close second.
We searched high and low for something ready-made in which to serve grilled sausages at our ‘inspired by’ Moonrise Kingdom cookout. While we found some decent options in terms of carnival kitsch, they didn’t fit our riverside vision – so we made our own! These handmade hot dog boats were a hit, so we thought we’d share how to construct them. Scrapbook paper is recommended because it has a nice weight that is sturdy but easy to fold, plus there are endless options of colors and patterns to fit any fete. A contrasting design between the inside and out is a fun touch, too. So get folding…