Yes, that is a key lime. But no, we’re not in Florida. Note the snow in the background. The fruit of Jacque’s indoor gardening efforts, her container-grown, likely mutant but much adored tree produced exactly one glorious offspring. She put it to use thusly:
|key lime cocktail|| |
- juice of as many key limes as you can get a hold of (in our case, 1) four would be nice
- regular old limes to take up any slack
- 2 oz gin
- 1 oz elderberry liqueur (we're partial to St. Germain)
- 6 mint leaves
- seltzer or club soda
- key lime slices to garnish, if you should be so lucky to have an extra or two
- Juice limes.
- Muddle the mint with a tiny bit of sugar.
- Along with lime juice, add mint to a shaker plus the gin and elderberry.
- Shake until incorporated then strain into glass.
- Top with seltzer.
- If you're missing the key lime slice, a sprig of mint also looks pretty darn cute.
To make a sweet version instead, cut out the alcohol and sub in extra seltzer or ginger ale.