|Mini Maple Bacon Sandwich with Frisée & Date Mayo|| |
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (from a small bunch)
- Four 3-inch challah or brioche buns
- date mayo (see recipe below)
- 1 small head frisée lettuce, cleaned and chopped into 2 –inch pieces
- 6 pitted dried dates
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Place bacon on a lined baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush bacon with maple syrup until well coated. Sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Place bacon in the oven and cook until dark and crispy, about 30 minutes.
- Spread each side of the challah bun with the date mayo, about 1 tablespoons per side.
- Break bacon into pieces that fit on the bun. Arrange on the bottom bun. Arrange frisee on top of the bacon. Top with the top of the bun and secure with a club frill.
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes to allow the dates to soften. Drain well.
- Combine dates and mayonnaise in a blender and blend on high until well combined and smooth.
* tofu “bacon”
Drain and press tofu: Slice tofu into 1/4-3/8″ thick slabs.Lay flat on paper towels and cover with more paper towels, and then press under a heavy skillet or pan. Season tofu with bacon salt and pepper. Lightly (but thoroughly) coat each piece of tofu with corn starch.
Pour cooking oil into a deep saute pan to about 1/2″ deep and heat to 360-365 over medium high. Using tongs to maneuver, fry tofu slices until golden on all sides. Don’t crowd the pan or overlap – fry in batches. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Brush each side with maple syrup while hot and sprinkle with thyme leaves.